Ashmore Park Walk of Stars!
Ashmore Park is a great community, and Ashmore Parker’s are great folk! The estate has always fostered good sportsmen and women. But not everyone is aware that the estate has nurtured other great talents also.
I have represented Ashmore Parkers and Wednesfield people on two Councils for some 31 years! I lived on Ashmore Park in the early part of my life and my sister Eileen still does. I went to school on the estate and I have had the great fortune to be involved in every day estate life, for decades.
One of my constituents Ian Eastaugh tapped out a message on my Face Book Page suggesting we had a roll of honour for ‘famous Ashmore Parker’s!
I thought it was a great idea, I knew about the decent amateur footballers that the estate produced like Brian Blower and Arthur (Archie) Richards, Steve Williams and his brother professional footballer Gary Williams, and Sean O’Driscoll. But what other Ashmore Parker had become ‘famous in their field’!
I decided to turn to the World Wide Web. It is a wonderful tool, I asked through my Face Book page for Ashmore Parkers, to tell me who they thought should be recognised in some public way!
Here are the names and professions of people who have made it to this list! Its breadth will blow you away. I do hope that this Walk of Stars initiative will help to inspire Ashmore Park youngsters.
Here are the 18 names of people who are our Ashmore Park Stars, but not in any particular order
- Professor David Rayson – Artist – London Royal College of Art. David was appointed Professor and Head of Painting at the Royal College of Art in 2006. He is a practising artist, tutor and curator and his work has been exhibited widely in the UK and internationally. His work is included in major collections held by the Tate, Whitechapel Art Gallery, the British Council, Deutsche Bank, Rubell Family Collection, The Open University and The Contemporary Art Society.
- Tony Milovsorov –Athlete run for Tipton Harriers lived and went to school on Ashmore Park, he took part in World Cross Country Championships.
- Phil Palmer – Is a legend on the estate with his Musicland Shop. He has given countless children and their families an introduction into the world of music. Bringing pleasure to many and in some cases sparking music talent that is being displayed much wider than in just our locality. Phil has played for royalty and appeared at top notch venues around the UK and abroad displaying his own music talent. He may not live on Ashmore Park, but he is certainly PART of Ashmore Park. A former Military man, who went onto win a Guinness World Record for the longest note blown. Follow the link to see the BBC Midlands Today film taken at the time…
- Sean O’Driscoll- Footballer, and one of the best known Football Manager’s in the UK
- Karl Henry who played football for the Stoke, Wolves and QPR. He lived in Ashmore Park and went to St Alban’s School.
- Gary Williams Aston Villa footballer & brother of
- Steve Williams who played for Walsall
- Barrie Gower- Went to Coppice High School, Barrie has been involved with many productions for both TV and Film including the Harry Potter series and most recently HBO’s Game of Thrones. He also contributed to Academy award winning makeups for The Wolfman and The Iron Lady.
- Roger Ellis World Cycle Speedway Champion – Roger rode for Wednesfield Aces and his home is on Ashmore Park!
- Willard Wigan MBE a sculptor- Known for his miniature sculptures, fabulous eye! His work has been recognised by the Guinness Book of Records. His sculptors are typically placed in the eye of a needle! He was commissioned to create the Coronation Crown on the head of a pin! In celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of HRH Queen Elizabeth the Second.
- Adrian Anslow – fell during an attack on the Atlantic Conveyor in the Falklands War. Much admired and courageous military man. His family received an Elizabeth Cross medal in his honour,
- Beatrice Cattermole legendary Head Teacher of Ashmore Park Primary School – Influenced hundreds of Ashmore Parkers and was held in great esteem
- Terry Green teacher- Fund raiser and Local Choir Master – Once again a teacher held in high esteem. for his work at Coppice High School
- Nigel Garton – West End Actor,stage and character actor
- Ian Mason- died serving his Country •
- Annie Wildey – International Artist now living in New York
- Kenny Rock – Comedy scriptwriter an Ashmore Parker who is a script writer to the stars! – which includes Ken Dodd, Dave Allen, Dick Emery, News Huddlines, The Grumbleweeds, Kenny Everett, Russ Abbot, Joan Rivers, Brian Conley and The Two Ronnies! Wonderful just wonderful!
- Raj Kumar – Much loved shop keeper who served Ashmore Park for more than 32 years before passing away suddenly in the shop in 2017. More than 2,000 residents and customers turned out for an impromptu service on the shopping parade! All of which underlined the star quality this man had, through his help for others.–He was a stand-out trader here for 32 years, he was immensely popular, and I think he did more for relationships than perhaps anyone we know. So many Ashmore Parkers have asked for his inclusion to the Walk of Stars, I am happy to agree with their sentiment. Raj was a legend locally, on a Par with Ronnie Barkers own cult shop keeper Arkwright
- Al Barrow of Rock Band Magnum, is our latest member! He was Born Nov 1968 in Ashmore Park, Wednesfield to Margaret & David Barrow. He plays with Magnum a national and international iconic Rock Band.