As a matter of urgency, I’d like to update you on the council’s position regarding our city’s cemeteries being open to general visitors, following our review of the national guidance which we received yesterday.
From Sunday (26 April) we will be re-opening all seven, between 4pm and 7pm seven-days-a-week to general visitors, based on the following considerations:
• We will monitor the public health impacts to ensure we protect public health and prevent the spread of the virus – given our city was hit early and hard
• We will monitor the impact on our staff who work at our cemetery sites
• We have received feedback from faith groups and residents
• We will be encouraging visitors to stick to social distancing
• We will have patrols to monitor social distancing, if people fail to comply, we will need to review our position.
I do hope residents of the Ward will accept and understand this new policy. I personally think it will be very popular